When people think of diets and weight loss, generally they don’t tend to envision themselves enjoying delicious treats like ice cream. Instead, they imagine that the closest thing they will get to enjoy will be a piece of fruit, or a fat-free yoghurt.
However, as we often reiterate here at Ketoship – ketogenic diets are not like regular diets, which is why people tend to enjoy them so much. Keto diets are popular because they are high in fats, moderate in proteins, and low in carbohydrates.
With the summer fast-approaching, it can be hard to avoid sweet treats like ice cream, slushies, and popsicles if you’re trying to lose weight. With keto however, you don’t have to avoid these foods at all – you just have to learn to get a little creative in the kitchen! Here are some simple, delicious, and healthy keto-friendly recipes for ice cream, slushies, and popsicles.
Churn-free Vanilla Keto Ice Cream
This recipe is great because it is keto-friendly, it is simple to make, and it requires no time-consuming churning. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A quarter tsp of apple cider vinegar, or cream of tartar
- 4 large free-range eggs (separated)
- 1 and a quarter cups of heavy whipping cream
- Half a cup of low carb powdered sweetener (such as erythritol)
- The seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Take the separated egg whites and add the vinegar or cream of tartar before giving them a good whisk until they thicken.
- As they begin to thicken, add your powdered sweetener and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream until it too forms soft peaks.
- In yet another bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the seeds from the vanilla bean.
- Fold the whipped whites gently into the whipped cream, before adding the vanilla/yolk mixture, and gently fold everything together.
- Place into a loaf tin and freeze for at least two hours and enjoy.
Keto Strawberry Popsicles
These popsicles taste amazing, are simple to make, and are very low in carbs/sugars. The strawberries do contain fructose of course, but per portion, your sugar intakes will be very low. Remember – you can enjoy a little bit of fruit on keto if you wish.
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of strawberries, either frozen or fresh
- 1 cup of mascarpone cheese
- The seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- A quarter cup of low carb sweetener
- Remove the stalks from the strawberries, place into a blender with the mascarpone, the cream, the vanilla, and the sweetener, and blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture into popsicle molds, along with wooden popsicle sticks and freeze for 4 hours.
- Remove from the molds, and enjoy!
Simple Sugar-free Keto Slushie
This slushie recipe just couldn’t be simpler. It can be adapted to be made from any sugar-free non-alcoholic beverage you can imagine:
- 1 bottle of your favorite sugar-free beverage, I.E Powerade zero
- Walden Farms Sugar-Free Syrup (whichever flavor you fancy, although strawberry and blueberry work quite well)
- Pour the liquid into a suitable container, I.E a Tupperware, and freeze for at least 5 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, place into a blender, and blend.
- Drizzle with your favorite sugar-free syrup
- Place into a glass/bowl and enjoy!
Do you have an improvement we could make to one of the above recipes? We’d love to hear it so share it with us on the blog- or connect with us on social media for a shout out 🙂