There’s no denying that some people regard breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Where some people prefer fasting in the morning, some people like to consume breakfast because it starts without on the right track in the morning, and can give is a much-needed boost of energy to face the day.
Where a lot of people fall down, however, is with the preparation of breakfast – and this holds particularly true when you’re following the ketogenic diet.
This is why it’s a great idea to prepare breakfast in batches, and then freeze them or keep them in the refrigerator ready to take out during the day. We have written a lot about pre-preparing meals here at ketoship, but I’ll be the first to admit that most of our breakfast recipes contain at least some form of dairy.
We’ve had a few comments and suggestions from our readers about including more dairy free recipe. After all, some people are sensitive to dairy, some people are lactose intolerant and can’t enjoy cheese or cream, and some people just don’t like dairy at all! So, in light of this, we thought we would put together a couple of easy, keto friendly smoothie recipe that can be enjoyed at breakfast time.
Almond and Coconut Mocha Smoothie
This delicious coffee flavoured smoothie is completely grain free and dairy free. It has similar energy giving properties to bullet-proof coffee, and is low in carbs so it should kick you out of keto says. It does, however, contain sweetener – so be aware if you’re sensitive to s sweeteners (it might be an idea to brush up on the best sweeteners for a ketogenic diet right here)
- A cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of Walden Farms Mocha Coffee Creamer
- Half a cup of brewed coffee (make sure you allow it to cool)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A drop of all natural almond extract
- 1 teaspoon of erythritol
- A quarter of a ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Place all of the ingredients except the avocado and coconut oil into a bowl and whisk with a metal whisk
- Transfer the contents to your smoothie maker and add the coconut oil and avocado
- Blitz the mixture until it is fully combined, smooth and creamy. Note that you want to blend long enough to break up the coconut oil (since we aren’t applying any heat here)
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately
Strawberry Avocado Keto Smoothie
This is a delicious, sweet smoothie that so great tasting you won’t even miss the sugar. It does contain a small portion of strawberries, so if you are a keto purist and don’t enjoy small amounts of fruit whilst on the ketogenic diet, then it might be an idea to give this one a miss. If you’re unsure about how to introduce fruit into your ketogenic diet, and check out our post about fruit on keto.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and stone removed with the flesh cut into cubes
- 1 ½ cups of water
- half cup of frozen strawberries (you can also use fresh strawberries and a few ice cubes instead)
- 1 tablespoon of Walden Farms Sugar-free Strawberry Syrup
- 1 teaspoon of erythritol
- a squeeze of lime juice
- Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blitz together until everything is fully combined into a smooth and creamy consistency. The avocado works wonders here to thicken up the smoothie.
- Transfer to a glass and garnish with a fresh strawberry before consuming immediately
So there we have it. Two delicious and easy keto breakfast smoothies that don’t contain any dairy!
Do you have a dairy-free breakfast idea that you’d like to share? If so, please let us know about it in the comments section 🙂