30If you’ve been following a ketogenic diet for some time, then you’ve probably already heard all about the wonder that is Bulletproof Coffee. It’s a staple among keto dieters as a breakfast ‘replacement’, partly due to the fact that it’s easy and convenient (as well as filling), and partly because of its numerous health benefits.
The only problem is, it can quickly become boring drinking the same thing for breakfast, day after day. That’s why we’ve come up with a couple of tasty variations on the classic bulletproof coffee recipe, meaning you can add some variety into your meal plan and still benefit from the convenience and the health benefits that Bulletproof Coffee offers.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Before we dive straight in to the recipes, here’s a brief explanation for those of you who are unfamiliar with the term Bulletproof Coffee (or BPC). If you’re already clued up on this amazing beverage, please feel free to skip straight to the recipes J
Bulletproof Coffee is an energy-boosting beverage which combines coffee, grass-fed butter and medium-chain triglyceride oil (MCT) or coconut oil. So, explained very basically – Bulletproof Coffee is a mixture of high-quality coffee, and healthy, energy-boosting fats all mixed up together into a highly satiating drink that’s great for keto dieters!
Why is it so great? Because of the combination of caffeine and saturated fats; it’s purported to help kick-start fat loss by way of ketosis, increase cognitive function, helps to curb cravings by keeping you fuller for longer and also helps to combat the keto flu by flooding your system with healthy fats.
If you’re ready to start incorporating Bulletproof Coffee into your meal plan, take a look at the following variations on the standard BPC Recipe:
Bulletproof Chocolate Coffee
If you want to succeed at losing weight with the ketogenic diet, it’s crucial to incorporate as much variety into your diet as possible. One of the main reasons people fail when trying to stick to a restrictive diet is due to boredom and lack of variety in their food. This chocolate coffee recipe is great at helping to curb those carb cravings, especially if you have a particularly sweet tooth.
- Half a cup of heavy cream
- Half a cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of organic, grass-fed butter
- 1 tablespoon of MCT oil (or you could use organic coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon of raw cocoa powder
- 1 cup of strong, brewed coffee (be sure to use high-quality, organic coffee)
- A pinch of sweetener like Erythritol
- A splash of Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup
- Allow the brewed coffee to cool slightly before transferring to your blender (putting boiling liquid into a blender is never a good idea)
- Add the cocoa powder, butter, MCT oil and sweetener then blend until the mixture is smooth and frothy
- Pour into a mug and add a teaspoon or two of Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup if you want a seriously chocolatey taste!
Bulletproof Spiced Caramel Frappuccino
If you’d rather opt for an ice-cold and refreshing drink to start your day, give this Bulletproof Frappuccino a try! It’s just as filling as regular Bulletproof Coffee, and contains coconut milk for a silky smooth texture.
- A handful of ice cubes
- 1 cup of strong, brewed organic coffee, completely cooled
- 1 cup of organic coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of MCT or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of sweetener
- 2 teaspoons of Walden farms Caramel Syrup
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon of nutmeg
- Heavy whipped cream (to serve)
- 1 or 2 drops of organic, natural vanilla essence
- Brew the coffee and refrigerate for a few hours until completely cold
- Mix the coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and caramel sauce in a bowl (whisk thoroughly to break up the coconut oil)
- Transfer to a blender and add the coffee and ice
- Blend until smooth and add another splash of caramel sauce and another handful of ice cubes if you desire, before transferring to a tall glass
- Add a dollop of whipped cream and serve
We’re always excited to see what you guys create! J