It’s that time of year again. The sun is out, the weather is sweet and summer BBQ food is on the menu.
Keto-dieters rejoice! Because, let’s face it, if there’s one thing low-carb dieters know how to cook – it’s barbeque food.
So, in the name of summer we’re sharing a couple of recipes for keto-friendly BBQ food that are so tasty even your carb-loving friends will find them irresistible.
Spicy Keto Cheeseburgers with Tangy Relish
These burgers are totally keto-friendly, and what’s more – you can enjoy them complete with a bun too! Check out these hamburger buns from the Great Low-carb Bread Company, coming at just 1 net carb each. Or, if you’d rather make your own, then take a look at this post detailing how to make keto-friendly ‘cloud bread’ burger buns here.
For the Burger
- 16 oz beef mince or ground beef
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 or 2 finely chopped red chillies (remove the seeds if you don’t like it too hot!)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Relish
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sweetener
- 100ml white vinegar
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh green ginger
- 30g freshly ground sea salt
- A good pinch of cayenne pepper
- Half a teaspoon of ground cloves
- A splash of Walden farms Thick n Spicy BBQ Sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the mince, onion, egg, chillies and paprika
- Knead the mixture with your hands until all the ingredients are fully combined
- Once the consistency of the mixture resembles a dough-like paste, roll handfuls of the mixture into balls, then press down with the palms of your hands to form burger patties ( the number depends on the size of the patties you want – just make sure that the number is even)
- Place a good pinch of grated mozzarella in the centre of half of the patties, then place the remaining patties over the top to sandwich the cheese inside
- Pinch around the cheese-filled patties with your finger tips to fully seal them, then set aside while you make the relish
- For the relish – simply combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly, adding salt and pepper to taste
- Place the burger patties onto the grill, turning once or twice (you don’t want to turn them too much, else you risk them coming apart and losing that delicious cheese filling!)
- Transfer to a plate (or bun) and serve with a dollop of the relish
Shrimp Skewers with Keto-Friendly BBQ Glaze
This recipe is all about the glaze. So much so, that you could substitute the shrimp for any other meat you fancy – chicken breast pieces, pork, beef rib – the list is endless! Also, this glaze works great as a dipping-sauce or a marinade too!
- Shrimp (or any other meat you fancy)
- Bamboo skewers
- Half a cup of Guy’s Original BBQ Sauce or Walden farms Thick n Spicy BBQ Sauce
- One quarter cup of reduced-carb or sugar-free ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Half a teaspoon of cumin
- 1 diced red chilli (optional)
- Mix the wet ingredients thoroughly, adding the chopped chilli and minced garlic
- Next, add the dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly until well combined
- Leave the ingredients to meld together at room temperature for a minimum of half an hour
- While the sauce is doing its thing – prep your skewers for the barbecue. Dip the bamboo skewers in water befor skewering your shrimp (the water will stop the skewers from burning once they are on the barbecue)
- Take a pastry brush or a spoon, and ‘baste’ the skewers with the glaze, front and back
- Transfer them to the barbecue, turning occasionally and adding more and more glaze as you go
- Once the shrimp is fully cooked (remember – it should be pink all the way through if you’re cooking from fresh), transfer onto a plate, add a dollop more of the sauce and devour!
So there we have it. Keto-friendly BBQ food that absolutely anyone can enjoy! Have you tried any of these recipes?
If you have, please share your thoughts with us in the comments section 🙂