I love casseroles: they’re a cinch to make, delicious, portable (making them great for breakfast or lunch on the go) and very forgiving – they accommodate pretty much any protein and veggies you might have lying around in your fridge. In other words, they’re perfect for when you want to prep your breakfasts or lunch for the week and take the stress out of your weekdays!
This Southwestern pork and avocado casserole ticks all the boxes: the avocado, eggs and pork provide the fat that make this recipe keto (while also delivering oodles of flavour!), the spices add that all important umami and the “format” of the casserole make it easy to eat on the go. Simply follow the recipe, let it cool, cut it up and dig in! Super delicious with greens and a dollop of homemade mayo for even more fat.
Makes: 4 servings (2 slices per serving)
- 3/4 lb ground pork
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 large pastured eggs
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line a large rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, add the pork and spices and cook, stirring frequently, until the pork is no longer pink.
- Add the cooked pork to the bottom of the baking pan, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
- Add your thinly sliced avocado to the pan, again distributing them evenly.
- Beat your eggs with some salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. When you’re done, pour this mixture over the pork and avocado.
- Scatter your spinach on top.
- Bake for around 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let cool five minutes, then cut into 8 rectangles (2 per serving) and enjoy with some greens and homemade mayo.
NB: Does not contain nutritional information for spices (negligible) or homemade mayo.