Let’s face it: sometimes we have neither the time, nor the inclination to cook a full-blown keto meal… And yet, we definitely don’t want to fall off the bandwagon and waste all of that hard work, either! This is where meal prepping comes in: by spending a couple of hours cooking at the weekend (or any other time your energy and mood are high) and storing your delicious keto food in the fridge or freezer, you’re setting yourself up for success. No more stressing over what you’re going to eat… And definitely no more grabbing unhealthy, carb-laden alternatives, either!
These super easy keto Scotch eggs are the perfect meal prep option for when you know you’re going to be on the go but you still want a healthy, portable, utterly delicious breakfast/lunch/snack option. The pork is flavoured with warming Mexican spices for an interesting kick, and the eggs are cooked just enough to set the whites and keep the yolks slightly runny. Yum. Grab one of these with half an avocado and a dollop of homemade mayo, and you’re set!
Makes: 2 servings. (Just double up for more!)
For the Scotch eggs:
- 3/4 lb pastured ground pork
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large pastured eggs, at room temperature
For the homemade mayonnaise:
- 1 cup light olive oil (or avocado oil, or macadamia oil)
- 1 large pastured egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Start by preparing the eggs: boil some water in a small saucepan and add the eggs. Cook for exactly 6 minutes and cool in cold water before gently peeling. Be very careful as the eggs are soft-boiled and will be delicate!
- In the meantime, add your pork and spices to a large mixing bowl and use your hands to combine thoroughly.
- This is where the fun begins! Separate the pork mixture in two balls and form two flat circles out of them with a well in the middle. Place each egg into each well and gently gather the pork mixture around them, making sure they’re entirely sealed. This is a little fiddly at first, but you’ll get the hang of it quicker than you think!
- Place the Scotch eggs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in the oven. Cook for around 30 minutes.
- While the Scotch eggs are cooking, prepare your homemade mayo, if you like. Add the oil to a large Mason jar. Add the egg and let it sink to the bottom. Add all your other seasonings.
- Place the mouth of an immersion / stick blender all the way to the bottom of the Mason jar and turn it on. DO NOT MOVE IT for around 20 seconds. The mayonnaise will start forming!
- After around 20 seconds, slowly start pulling the stick blender upwards: the mayonnaise will continue forming around it as the oil gets mixed in with the egg. When all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, turn the blender off and gently pull it out. Check for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Your eggs should be cooked by now! Serve with some greens, mayo and half an avocado for a fat-rich, delicious breakfast/snack/lunch.
NB: Does not contain nutritional information for the mayonnaise.