We all know that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, but when you’re following the keto diet, it can be tough to find healthy options that don’t all taste the same. After all, there’s only so many eggs you can eat before you get sick of them!
I don’t know about you, but one of the things I love the most on a cold winter morning (it’s freezing here in London) is a delicious, warming bowl of oatmeal. Or at least it was, until its high carbohydrate contents seemingly excluded it from my diet forever (sob!)… That is, until I came up with this gorgeous, low-carb treat of a breakfast dish.
By combining two different types of nuts, flaxseeds and creamy coconut milk, you get a bowl of deliciousness that tastes almost exactly like the real thing. Treat yourself to this when the cravings for a heavy, carb-fest of a breakfast become too much to bear!
Makes: 2 servings.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 2/3 cup almond milk
- 8-10 drops liquid stevia (or more, to taste)
- Sugar-free vanilla extract
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries (for the jam; optional)
- In a food processor, grind the almonds, macadamia nuts and flaxseeds separately until finely ground.
- Tip the nuts and seeds into a saucepan. Add the shredded coconut, almond milk, stevia, vanilla extract and sea salt. Stir to combine and cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently until thick (around 7-10 minutes).
- While the oatmeal is cooking, place the blueberries in a small saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cook over a medium heat until blueberries have broken down and turned into a jelly.
- To serve, divide the oatmeal between two bowls and top with the blueberry jam, if you like. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
Serve without berries for fewer carbs.
|Creamy Keto Oatmeal||Calories||Fat||Carbs||Protein||Fibre||Net carbs|
|½ cup almonds||413||36.21g||14.11g||15.2g||8.4g||6.8g|
|½ cup macadamia nuts||481||50.77g||9.26g||5.3g||5.8g||3.46|
|¼ cup flaxseeds||194||15.28g||10.47g||6.63g||9.9g||0.57g|
|2 tbsp coconut||80||7.4g||2.6g||0.6g||1.4g||1.2g|
|1 2/3 cup almond milk||68||6.05g||2.36g||2.55g||1.4g||0.96|
|1 cup blueberries||83||0.48g||21g||1.07g||3.5g||17.5|
|Per serving (2)||659.5||58.1g||29.9g||15.67g||15.2g||14.7g|