As a (somewhat) lazy cook, I adore my slow cooker. There’s something intensely satisfying about stuffing it with ingredients, turning it on, forgetting about it for the day and coming home a few hours later to delicious smells wafting out of the kitchen. Minimal effort = maximal pleasure. I LOVE IT. There’s another thing I adore almost as much as my slow cooker, and that’s pulled pork. It seemed natural, therefore, to combine the two in this super easy, super delicious recipe that’s not only a cinch to make – it’ll also keep you well-fed for several days.
The smoky, savoury cacao rub I used here has just enough bite to make you salivate without blowing your head off. I personally don’t think it needs any extra sauce, but a bit of keto BBQ sauce certainly wouldn’t go amiss if you like that sort of thing! Serve it with cauliflower rice for a warming, delicious treat you’ll want to keep making again and again.
Makes 6 servings.
- 4 lb bone-in pork shoulder, fat mostly removed
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp unsweetened 100% cacao
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- Cauliflower rice, to serve
- Keto BBQ sauce (optional)
- Prepare the pork joint by trimming the excess fat off the top. As you can see, mine had a thick layer of the stuff (which I cut off as neatly as possible so I could make pork rinds!); yours might not.
- Once the pork is ready, rub the spice mix in well, taking care to cover all the meat and into all the crevices. Don’t be shy here: you want to get as much of that rub onto the pork as possible. Once you’re done, place the pork in your slow cooker.
- Put your slow cooker on “Low” and cook for 8-10 hours, or until the pork is fork tender. Remove it from the slow cooker and place it on a chopping board. Using two forks (or your fingers, if you’re feeling brave), shred the pork using pulling motions until the below effect is achieved.
- Place the pork back in the slow cooker and heat through with its juices (or, if you like, add the keto BBQ sauce in at this point and heat with the pork).
- When hot, remove from slow cooker and serve on a big plate of cauliflower rice. You could also spoon the mixture into gem lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves and top with low-carb salsa and avocado for a Mexican-inspired treat!
Please note that the spices haven’t been counted in the total as their nutritional values are negligible.
|Keto Smoky Cacao Pulled Pork||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fibre (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|4 lbs pork shoulder||3955||287.04g||0g||320.42g||0g||0g|