You probably already know by now, that being on a ketogenic diet involves a LOT of cooking and preparing your own meals from scratch.
Pre-packed sandwiches, fast food and other snacks are pretty much off the menu, as hidden (and often not-so-hidden) carbs abound in such convenience foods.
Suffice to say – snacking on a ketogenic diet can sometimes be a little bit tricky!
Now, it’s important to point out that when I say ‘snacking’ here, I’m mainly talking about convenient foods that you can either consume on the go, or relatively easily with little to no preparation.
It’s easy to ‘snack’ on a couple of chicken legs or a slice or two of ham if you’re at home and close to a refrigerator, but this doesn’t really translate to when you’re out and about.
Plus, when you’re away from the home – this can be when you’re most likely to succumb to temptation from pre-packaged, processed foods.
So, that’s why we’ve compiled a quick list of different keto-friendly snack ideas, both for when you’re on the go (i.e. purse or pocket-friendly snacks), and for when you have access to a refrigerator.
Either way, we’ve got keto-snacking well and truly covered:
The above graphic shows just a few examples of portable snacks that are keto-friendly. Perfect to grab when you’re on your way out for the day (and some of which can be purchased from the Ketoship web store – just look for the * symbol)
A few quick tips for snacking on-the-go:
- Prepare snacks in advance – always be sure to measure out nuts and seeds into the appropriate quantities so you don’t go overboard on the carbs
- Always check the label. Some cured meats jerky may have seasonings and additives that can bulk up the carb-count of the snack
- Seriously – check out Moon Cheese if you haven’t already. These tasty snacks have all the crunch of chips with all the flavour (and all-important fat) of cheese, just minus the carbs. Perfect to toss into your back or pocket before you head on out.
- Check out this post about eating low-carb on the go for additional info and a little more inspiration to help keep your snacking habits varied and interesting (so you don’t give in to cravings)
One of the key success factors for a ketogenic diet is to have a host of keto-friendly nibbles close to hand, wherever you are. This is a surefire way to ensure that you don’t cave in to cravings out of a need for convenience (or purely from the fact that you just haven’t got the energy to cook!)
Keeping cooked meats, fresh dairy products and a whole batch of keto fat bombs close to hand is crucial if you like to pick and graze throughout the day.
As well as those listed in the graphic above, we recommend the following posts and links to give you inspiration for what keto-friendly snacks to keep your refrigerator stocked up:
- Delicious Keto Cheddar and Bacon Breakfast Muffin
- Everything Bagels (made up with cream cheese and smoked salmon – just be sure to store in an airtight container)
- Lemon Keto Cheesecake with Tangy Berry Compote
What are your favourite go-to keto snacks?
We’d love to hear your feedback, or ideas for new and exciting recipes – so please feel free to share in the comments below.