Mmmm, breakfast. Probably – nay, certainly – my very favourite meal of the day. I could eat it all day long (and I frequently do)! Now, I don’t know of a single breakfast food that I haven’t enjoyed, but if I’m being totally honest, eggs are my weakness. They’re delicious, moreish and I love them in pretty much every form and shape they may take. In this particular dish, the yolk definitely takes centre stage: runny and glorious, it provides the perfect foil for the bitterness of the kale and the salty smokiness of the chorizo.
I can guarantee that once you taste this breakfast bowl, you’ll want to make it again… and again… and again. Yes, folks, it’s THAT good. Best of all, it comes together in 10 minutes and can be made in the same skillet from start to finish. If you have some extra carbs to play around with, this dish is phenomenal with a few sliced mushrooms thrown into the mix.
Makes 1 serving.
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/4 cup chorizo, diced
- 2 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small avocado
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. When hot, add the chorizo and cook until lightly browned and crispy around the edges. You want it to release all its gorgeous, scented oils!
- After a few minutes, add the kale and season well. Cook until the kale has wilted and has a few crispy bits.
- Remove the kale and chorizo mixture from the pan and place in a bowl. Add a little extra olive oil and when hot, crack the two eggs into the pan (taking care not to break the yolks like I did!).
- Cook your eggs until done the way you like them – I prefer mine with the whites just set and the yolk still runny, with crispy edges. When they’re done, slide them out of the pan and onto the kale and chorizo mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and top with sliced avocado. Enjoy!
|Keto Chorizo Breakfast Bowl||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fibre (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|2 large eggs||147||9.94g||0.77g||12.58g||0g||0.77g|
|1/4 cup chorizo||159||13.39g||0.65g||8.44g||0g||0.65g|
|2 cups kale||67||0.94g||13.41g||4.42g||2.7g||10.71g|
|1 tbsp olive oil||120||14g||0g||0g||0g||0g|
|1 small avocado||214||19.6g||11g||3g||9g||2g|