One of the many, many things I love the most about the keto diet is that it offers almost boundless opportunities for playing around with what would ordinarily be considered comfort food. This recipe is the ULTIMATE example of this: the rich, tangy cheese sauce plays off the smoky spiciness of the chorizo beautifully, while the cauliflower provides just enough bite and texture to support the dish’s inherent creaminess without letting it become cloying. This is a truly decadent-tasting dish that is reasonably high in calories, but so low in carbs that it won’t matter. Enjoy!
- 1 very large head of cauliflower (around 1kg), broken into bite-sized florets
- Around 15cm cooking chorizo, cubed
- 4 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Grated cheddar cheese for sprinkling
- Dried or fresh chives for decorating (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to around 200°C / 400°F.
- Steam the cauliflower florets until tender-crisp (you want them to retain their texture and shape, because we’re going to be baking them) and add to a rectangular baking dish. You want the florets to be laid out evenly, but it’s okay if you need to layer them.
- Scatter the chorizo over the top of the cauliflower, making sure it’s evenly spread. No need to cook this beforehand.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and stock and cook over low heat until the butter has melted.
- Beat the egg yolks and mix with the Parmesan and nutmeg. Add to the butter and stock mixture and cook until all the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Paying attention to cover the cauliflower florets evenly, add the cheese sauce to the baking dish and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Pop in the oven for around 15-20 minutes and remove when the top is lovely and golden brown. Sprinkle the chopped chives on top and serve.
|Keto Cauliflower Cheese with Chorizo||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fibre (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|4 tbsp butter||407||46.07g||0.03g||0.48g||0g||0.03g|
|½ cup chicken stock||19||0.68g||0.46g||2.42g||0g||0.46g|
|8oz cream cheese||792||79.09g||6.03g||17.12g||0g||6.03g|
|2 large egg yolks||109||9.02g||1.22g||5.39g||0g||1.22g|
|1 cup Parmesan||456||29.99g||3.7g||41.6g||0g||0g|
|Per serving (6 servings)||384.33||31.48g||10.92g||16.89g||4.17g||6.76g|
NB: The nutritional information does not include garnishes (extra cheddar cheese, chives and nutmeg).