Before I get started, let’s just establish something: how amazing are risottos? The incredibly rich, creamy texture… The ever-so-slightly nutty texture of the perfectly cooked al dente rice… The sharpness of the Parmesan, balanced out by the decadent melted butter… Bliss! Risotto was one of the dishes I was most loath to give up when embarking on my keto journey. Naturally, I tried my hardest to come up with alternatives; however, the ubiquitous cauliflower “rice”, while satisfactory in other cases, failed to satisfy when it came to risotto and I thought my endeavours doomed to fail.
Wrong! Guess what works incredibly well as a rice substitute in risottos, as they retain their texture really well and absorb flavours, much like rice does? Shelled hemp seeds, that’s what! Combined with the meatiness of the shiitake mushrooms and the cheesy deliciousness of the Parmesan, they’d fool anyone into thinking they were real rice. Don’t believe me? Try for yourself… And thank me later!
Makes 2 as a main dish (warning, very high in calories!) and 4 as a side (excellent with poultry).
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter (I love Kerrygold)
- 4 medium shiitake mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a heavy based pan.
- When hot, add the shiitake mushrooms and stir to coat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until soft and a little coloured.
- And the garlic powder, almonds and help seeds and stir to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add about a 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and let the seed/mushroom mixture absorb it, stirring occasionally so that it doesn’t stick. Repeat the operation until there is no more both, and the seed/mushroom mix is cooked but still toothsome (like risotto!).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan (adding a little extra butter if you’re feeling particularly decadent). Season will and scatter with chopped parsley to serve.
|Cheesy mushroom risotto (4 servings)||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fiber (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|2 tbsp butter||204||23.04g||0.02g||0.24g||0g||0.02g|
|4 shiitake mushrooms||26||0.4g||5.2g||1.7g||1.9g||3.3g|
|½ garlic powder||5||0.01g||1.02g||0.24g||0.24g||0.78g|
|1 cup shelled hemp seeds||720||60g||8g||40g||4g||4g|
|½ slivered almonds||312||27.35g||10.66g||11.48g||6.4g||4.26g|
|1 ½ cup chicken broth||57||1.56g||1.37g||7.28g||0g||1.37g|
|½ cup grated Parmesan||216||14.3g||2.03g||19.23g||0||2.03g|
|Per serving (if 4 servings)||385||31.67g||7.08g||20.04g||3.14g||3.94g|
NB: Nutritional information does not include garnishes.