It’s no secret: I adore breakfast food and I could eat it every hour of every day. Give me eggs, bacon, cheese, or any combination of the above, and I’m the happiest of girls! Bonus points, of course, if the recipe is a) delicious and b) easy and/or quick to make. Luckily, this recipe for delicious keto breakfast muffins is all of the above. The cheddar (or any sharp, hard cheese you prefer – the Brit in me just loves cheddar!) and bacon play off each other beautifully, lending this light, airy little number a tangy richness that you’ll love again… And again… And again.
Eat on its own or slathered with butter, if you dare!
Makes 1 muffin.
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 1 large free-range egg
- 3 heaped tbsp almond flour
- 1/8 tsp (or one large pinch) baking soda
- 1 /4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 rashers smoked bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
- 4 heaped tbsp sharp grated cheddar
- Dried or fresh chives, chopped, to serve
- Grease a large mug or ramekin with the butter.
- Mix the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda and salt) well. Crack the egg in the mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add the butter, then the bacon. Fold the grated cheddar into the mixture.
- Once everything is well combined, pop the mug/ramekin in the microwave for 60-90 seconds (I generally go for 75). Be careful not to overcook as there’s nothing worse than a dry muffin!
- Once cooked, run a knife along the edge to demould. Enjoy with mixed greens and a drizzle of butter for an ultra decadent breakfast!
|Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fiber (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|1 large egg||74||4.97g||0.38g||6.29g||0g||0.38g|
|3 tbsp almond flour||120||10.5g||4.5g||4.5g||2.25g||2.25g|
|1 tbsp butter||102||11.52g||0.01g||0.12g||0g||0.01g|
|4 tbsp Cheddar||104||12.16g||0.48g||9.16g||0g||0.48g|
|2 rashers bacon||90||7.9g||0g||4.3g||0g||0g|
NB: Nutritional information does not include garnishes.