One of the most difficult aspects of committing to a healthy diet is preparation: do as we may, we don’t always have time to spend hours in the kitchen, rustling up delicious, nutritious food for our families and ourselves. Luckily, living the low-carb way doesn’t have to be all that time-consuming, as these perfect keto bacon and egg cups demonstrate: these little high-fat, virtually carb-less morsels come together in less than 15 minutes and are a great option both for breakfast, and for a quick, on-the-go snack.
Pair them with some high-fat garnishes for a little variation, or enjoy them as they are – either way, they’re guaranteed to go down a treat! Try preparing a batch of 8-12 of them in advance for an easy, out of the fridge and into your stomach treat for busy days.
Makes 4. See nutritional information below.
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 4 rashers thickly cut organic bacon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili flakes, ground cumin, ground paprika
- Crumbled feta and 1 tbsp chopped black olives
- Spicy guacamole and sour cream
- Grated Parmesan and dried thyme
- Heat your oven to 190°C / 375°F and grease a metal muffin tin well with olive oil. Don’t skimp on the oil and make sure the sides, as well as the bottoms of the tins are well coated.
- Dry fry the four bacon rashers for a couple of minutes on each side to par cook them: this will ensure they come out of the oven crispy and delicious. When cooked, drain well on some kitchen paper.
- When the bacon is cool enough to handle, take each rasher and place inside a muffin cup, creating a ring. Don’t worry if the bacon doesn’t go all the way around: the egg cup will still retain its shape.
- Very carefully crack an each into each bacon-lined muffin cup, paying close attention to not breaking the yolk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish: if using, add the chili flakes, ground cumin and ground paprika OR the crumbled feta and olives OR the grated Parmesan and thyme. DO NOT add the avocado and sour cream at this stage – wait until the cups are out of the oven and have cooled.
- Once your egg cups are garnished, pop them in the oven mid-height. Cook for 10-15 minutes depending on how “done” you want your yolks to be. (FYI, I cooked mine for 12 minutes for this shoot and the yolk had set).
- When your cups are cooked, remove from the oven and let them cool at least 5 minutes. When you’re ready, run a sharp knife around the edges to help the cup separate from the tin. Remove the cups from the tin – if you’re struggling, try sliding a teaspoon under the cup to help it along.
- If using, garnish with spicy guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy as a snack or as part of a keto breakfast!
|Keto bacon egg cups||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fiber (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|4 large eggs||296||20||1.52||25.16||0||1.52|
|4 rashers thickly cut bacon||260||20||0.8||18||0||0.8|
|Olive oil (2 tsp)||80||9||0||0||0||0|
|Per serving (if 6)||159||12.25||0.58||10.79||0||0.58|
NB: Nutritional information does not include garnishes.