Breakfast’s up! These low-carb cheddar and scallion biscuits will have you up and out of bed in no time: they’re a cinch to put together, are ready in less than 15 minutes and smell incredible while they’re cooking. Best of all? They taste divine and are completely portable, meaning they are perfect for when you need to grab something delicious to munch on on the way to work! Their high fat content will keep you full for hours, too, especially when paired with scrambled eggs and greens. Try preparing a batch of these for the week ahead – you won’t look back!
Makes 6. See nutritional information below.
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 – ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp erythritol
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3 oz / 85g Cheddar or other firm cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
- ¼ – ½ cup whole milk
- Heat your oven to 230°C / 425°F and grease a muffin tin for six muffins well.
- In a bowl, mix your dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda and power, cumin, erythritol and sea salt) until well combined, using your hands to break up any clumps. Add the cheddar, spring onions and melted butter and mix again.
- Very slowly, start adding the milk. You don’t want this mixture to be too liquid, so I suggest you go one tablespoon at a time, mixing in between until the mixture sticks together.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of the mixture to each muffin hole, topping up if needed so that each case is filled equally.
- Place the muffin tin in the middle of the oven and cook for 12 minutes, covering it with foil for the first 8 minutes and removing it for the last 4 so that the top gets golden.
- Take out of the oven and let cool a bit before removing the biscuits from the tin. You may need to run a knife around the edges to get them out.
- Enjoy warmed through for breakfast with eggs and greens!
|Cheddar and scallion breakfast biscuits||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fiber (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|1 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour||720||63||27||27||13.5||13.5|
|3 oz cheddar||343||28.19||1.09||21.18||0||1.09|
|2 spring onions (roughly ¼ cup)||8||0||0.91||0.45||0.65||0.26|
|3 tbsp grass-fed butter||306||34.56||0||0.36||0||0|
|½ cup whole milk||73||3.96||5.5||3.93||0||5.5|
|Per serving (if 6)||241.67||21.53||5.75||8.82||2.36||3.39|