If you’ve been following (and therefore doing plenty of research on) a ketogenic diet then you may have come across to term ‘Bulletproof Coffee’ during your internet travels. You may also have thought to yourself “what the heck is Bulletproof Coffee, anyway?”
You’re not alone. Bulletproof Coffee seems to be one of those phenomena that everyone has heard of, but nobody actually knows anything about.
Let me change that.
Explained very basically – Bulletproof Coffee is an energy-boosting beverage which combines coffee, grass-fed butter and medium-chain triglyceride oil (MCT). While this may appear to be a new fad among health-conscious people, the concept of Bulletproof Coffee (or simply consuming a beverage containing fats as an energy-booster) is actually rooted in tradition.
The Birth of Bulletproof Coffee
The term ‘Bulletproof Coffee’ was coined by Dave Asprey – an entrepreneur who discovered and then implemented the phenomenon of mixing fat with coffee after a trip to Tibet, where he drank a traditional brew of tea mixed with yak butter.
This prompted him to concoct his own version – on the premise of the combination of caffeine and saturated fats being an energising and satiating beverage to kick-start ones morning, as well as giving various other health benefits as well (the most prevalent of which are listed below).
Purported Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee
While research is still in its infancy regarding this supercharged phenomenon, Bulletproof Coffee is widely considered to have the following benefits:
- It triggers weight loss by way of ketosis (yay!)
- It kills cravings and helps you to feel fuller for longer
- It increases cognitive function
- It is an extremely efficient (and great tasting) way of taking in essential fats and calories, without any carbohydrates!
According to Dave Asprey (and thousands of individuals who have tried the concoction for themselves) this simple, energy-boosting beverage keeps you feeling energized throughout the morning, and staves off hunger pangs well into the afternoon.
Bulletproof Coffee and the Ketogenic Diet
It’s no secret that foods which are high in saturated fats (such as butter) have become somewhat demonized over the years. But, thankfully, there seems to be some movement away from the collective misconception that fats are the ultimate enemy.
People appear to embracing fats once more – and that’s a good thing. When we take this into consideration, the phenomenon of Bulletproof Coffee doesn’t seem quite so outrageous – and actually lends itself quite well to a ketogenic lifestyle, particularly if we consider the following:
- When you are following a ketogenic diet, fat is most definitely not your enemy. We turn to fats to keep us satiated, and to help us to burn fat-stores for fuel
- Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which has been proven to reduce body fat mass in overweight and obese humans
- Coffee itself is a theromgenic – meaning that it increases your metabolic and promotes fat loss.
Its clear to see that the combination of butter and coffee has huge fat-burning potential. When we consider this, coupled with the fact that Bulletproof Coffee helps to keep you satiated (so you’ll be less likely to snack on high-carb food between meals), its no wonder people following a ketogenic diet have taken to the drink so eagerly.
Make Your Own Bulletproof Coffee
There’s more to making bulletproof coffee than simply mixing a spoon full of butter into your morning cup. It is widely suggested that, in order to reap the benefits of this power-house of a beverage, particular attention should be paid to the ingredients you use. Not all coffees are created equal! Try the following recipe, and see if you find your energy levels beginning to rise, and your hunger starting to diminish:
- 1 cup of organic coffee (you can buy the official Bulletproof Coffee, either ground or in whole bean format)
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of raw, organic honey
- 1 teaspoon organic grass-fed unsalted butter (must be grass-fed, as this contains important vitamins that most non-grass-fed butters do not)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extrace
Place all of your ingredients into a blender and whizz together until fully mixed. The coffee mixture should be smooth and frothy. Decant the coffee into your favourite mug and sprinkle with a little cinnamon, and enjoy!
Have you tried Bulletproof Coffee as part of a ketogenic diet? We’d love to hear about your experiences – so please share your thoughts in the comments section below.