This simple and relatively quick recipe combines two of my greatest loves in a moreish, decadent dessert. That’s right: it’s time to learn how to make the most delicious, bacon-studded brownies ever! Now, before you start worrying, here’s the deal: the sweet, rich chocolate flavour plays off beautifully with the intense saltiness of the bacon, making this the perfect treat for those of us who like something a little bit different.
This recipe uses unsweetened cacao for flavour and antioxidants, grassfed butter and free-range eggs for high-quality fat, and erythritol for sweetness without the carbohydrates. The resulting brownies are exactly what you would want in a cake and are perfect just warmed through with a large dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 12 brownies. See nutritional information below.
For the candied bacon:
- 125g (or six rashers) thinly sliced smoked bacon, preferably organic
- 6 tsp erythritol
- Preheat your oven to 175°C / 350°F.
- Line a roasting tin or baking sheet with foil. If you are using a sheet, make sure you create a “lip”” of foil around the edges, so the bacon grease doesn’t flood your oven!
- Once your tin/sheet is lined, add the erythritol to the foil, spreading it out. Taking your bacon rashers one by one, press your bacon into the erythritol on both sides, making sure each rasher is evenly coated.
- Put your bacon rashers onto a wired grill, placing them at a right angle to the rungs so that they won’t fall through the rack when they cook and shrink.
- Place the bacon at mid-height in the oven. With thinly sliced bacon, which is what we are using here, the cooking process should take no longer than 30 minutes, but feel free to leave it for longer, checking it regularly so that it doesn’t burn.
- When the bacon is golden, take it out of the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Chop the bacon thinly and set aside while you prepare the rest of the brownies.
For the brownies :
- 4 large free-range eggs (beaten)
- 150g softened unsalted butter
- 75g / just over ½ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 150g / 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- 125g / ½ cup erythritol
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 dark ChocoPerfection bar, chopped (optional)
- 1 serving candied bacon (see above)
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°C and line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Gently heat a heavy-based frying pan and melt the butter. Once melted, add the erythritol and stir to combine. Take the pan off the heat.
- Add the almond flour, cacao powder and bicarbonate of soda to the pan and mix to combine. Add the beaten eggs, mixing again to combine. Fold in the candied bacon and, if using, the ChocoPerfection bar.
- Scrape the mixture into your lined baking pan and pop it in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then cover with foil to avoid burning the top. Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and give it five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Check the cake: it should still be gooey in the middle, but not wobbly.
- Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!
|Keto bacon brownies||Calories||Fat (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Protein (grams)||Fiber (grams)||Net carbs (grams)|
|4 large eggs||280||24||2.4||24||0||1.2|
|150g almond flour||967.5||83.7||9.75||38.25||0||9.75|